Monday, June 25, 2012

What's in a Name?

So, I thought I would tell you how I picked the names for my book. At first, I named the main character, Madeline, but I decided that I wanted an English or Irish name. I looked up names and found Waverly, which is English. I thought it sounded so pretty, and I really wanted a three syllable name. For Finn, I have always loved that name. It's an Irish name and there's a cool legend about Finn McCool that goes along with the name. Waverly's dad's name kind of just came to me as I was writing. For some reason, I could just hear her mother calling to him, "Frank." Her name, Eveline, I thought was pretty. Finn's dad is Seamus, which is just a really cool name, and his mom is Deirdre. His uncle is Declan, which is another name I've always loved, and the leading guy in "Leap Year." His aunt is Aideen, which I also found beautiful. Kieran's name means "dark one," and when you read the book, you'll find out why that is appropriate. His dad is Darcy, another Irish name. Waverly's best friend, Jessie was also named as I was writing. It just sounded like a best friend name to me. Not sure why. So, other than Waverly being English, and Jessie's name, everyone else has a traditional Irish name. Including last names of course. It was actually a fun part of the process to name all of my characters. And not as stressful as trying to give your child a name.

No comments: