Monday, October 22, 2012

New Ideas

Well, I'm officially taking a break from Return to Darkness. I got so frustrated with some of the comments on how I should start it, how slow it was, etc. It made me feel like I have to completely write a new first chapter and make chapter 1 now chapter 2. The somewhat good news is that it's already more than halfway written. Though, I'll have to go through the whole editing process before it can be released.

Since I'm taking a break from it, I've been working on a new story. During the Story a Day challenge in May, I started a new story with werewolves and witches. No vamps this time. I wrote two chapters, though I only labeled them as part 1 and part 2 because I only thought it would be a short story. But, when I got frustrated with Return, I thought, "Hey, maybe I should work on that story. It might be fun." Well, I just picked up where I left off, and I've been writing non-stop for days. Okay, I've stopped to see my family every so often. But... I have 204 pages written. So, it seems as if there is another published book in my future. It's weird because during book 1, I figured that was all I would ever write. Then I got to what is now the ending of that book, and thought, "This story isn't over yet. I guess I'll have to finish it in a sequel." But again, I thought that was it. But it was weird. I was in the car one day and the first line of this new story popped into my head. I thought I better write it down when I got home, and then I had a few ideas for it.

The main characters are Nick, a werewolf, and Sofia, a witch. They're sworn enemies, but when Nick transfers to Mason High halfway through Senior year, something strange pulls them to each other. Hopefully, you'll want to find out what that is and why it's happening.

Okay, I can't resist. Here's a little taste of what's coming:

“You’re sure it’s his?” I wanted to be sure, otherwise this was a complete waste of time.
“Yeah, Sof. It’s his,” he said, taking Nat’s hand in his. Even though they weren’t linked to me, they could share their combined power with me to add to the strength of the spell.
I lit the candle and placed it on the floor in front of me. I took one of the three pieces of cord lying on the floor and tied it around the base of the candle. Then I chanted,
                        By three and nine your power I bind.
                        By Moon and Sun my will be done.
I took the next piece of cord and tied it around the middle of the candle, and continued my chant.
                        Sky and Sea, keep harm from Nico,
                        Cord go ‘round, power be bound.
I tied the third cord around the candle’s base, and said,
                        Light revealed,
                        Now be sealed.
I blew out the candle, and spoke the final line of the spell,
                        So mote it be.

So what do you think? And for all of you waiting for Return, I promise to start working on it again soon.
Cheers


No comments: